(Organic Slant) The astounding degree to which negative ions can contribute to good health is becoming increasingly apparent, as extensive research on the subject suggests. A salt lamp can be a natural, homeopathic way to improve the quality of indoor air.
Harvested from deep inside the Himalayan mountain range, salt lamps, salt lamps are made entirely of pink Himalayan (full-spectrum) salt crystals. They resemble large rose quartz crystals (see pictures below), and when lit from the inside, they project a kaleidoscope of warm, glowing textures that warm the mood of any room.
These are truly mesmerizing objects created by the Earth millions of years ago. When ground into a fine powder, they become edible Himalayan salt, but in their crystal rock form, they make amazing sources of light and inspiration. There’s something deeply resonant about light shining through a crystalline structure that was formed more than 250 millions of years ago when tidal action deposited huge beds of sea salt on the shores. This was long before humans ever existed, so these salt deposits have none of the chemicals, pesticides or excess heavy metals that characterize.
Salt Crystal Lamps, Natures Beautiful Air Ionizers for your Home and Office.
- Very simply, an ion is an atom or molecule that has gained or lost an electron. Both positive and negative ions exist in the air: positive air ions are generally molecules of carbon dioxide that have lost an electron, whereas a negative air ion is generally a molecule of oxygen that has gained an electron. Negative ions in the air attract particles of pollution and give them a negative charge, making them seek an electrical “ground,” and causing them to fall harmlessly to the floor. It stands to reason that we want to be surrounded by negative ions as a way of protecting our health.
- Ions cannot be produced without an energy source. An “energy source” means heat or flame, radioactivity, frictional rubbing, electricity, evaporation, etc. Ions can also be produced by high-energy events, such as an open flame or a glowing hot object. Evaporating water will produce negative ions in the air and, as a consequence, leave the damaging positive charges behind in the water that hasn’t yet evaporated.
- Nature is constantly producing negative ions to combat the pollution in the air. This is why the air feels so refreshing after a storm: lightening produces a high concentration of negative ions, which purifies the air and makes it so invigorating. Water from a cascading waterfall also produces negative ions as the water thunders against the pool below, causing both friction and evaporation (both energy sources). For the same reason, the enormous amount of negative ions in the pure air at the seashore is caused by the constant rise and fall of the tides.
- In 1966, a hospital in Jerusalem conducted a study of thirty-eight infants suffering from respiratory problems. They cared for half of the infants in a ward without any ion change, and cared for the other half in a ward where a negative-ion generator was in use. “The researchers reported that neg-ions without any other treatment “ that is, no drugs “ seemed to cure attacks of asthma and bronchitis more quickly than drugs, antibiotics included… children treated with neg-ions were less prone to ‘rebound attacks’ (relapses)… the scientific report said that the tests ‘demonstrated that atmospheric ions have an effect on infants, especially those suffering from asthmatic bronchitis. Less scientifically, they found that the babies didn’t cry as often and as loudly as they did in normal air.” The Ion Effect, by Fred Soyka, p. 57, 1991.
- World renowned Dr. Albert P Krueger, microbiologist and experimental pathologist, “worked with bacteria of the kind that float in the air and spread diseases “ mostly colds, influenza, and other respiratory ills “ and found that an astonishingly small quantity of neg-ions could kill them and quickly take them out of the air so they were less likely to infect people.” The Ion Effect, by Fred Soyka, p. 57, 1991.
- Salt lamps do not generate negative ions themselves. They are “hygroscopic,” which means that they attract moistur… humidity… airborne water molecules; it is a natural property of sodium chloride. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygroscopy. Since they do not generate the negative ions, they need a heat source (in this case, heat from an incandescent bulb) to accelerate evaporation, which doesproduce negative ions. In more humid regions, an unlit salt lamp will eventually “cry,” even creating puddles of water at its base. It is this evaporation that generates the negative ions, which are beneficial to our health.
- Use salt lamps as a beautiful light source “ they can be sold as living energy sources which emit a healthy glow, ranging in color light-waves of oranges, yellows, reds and apricot. The ambient light creates a soothing ambiance that helps with relaxation, stress, attention deficit and more.
- Physicians and other practitioners in the exploding field of complementary medicine use our lamps for Color Therapy (chromotherapy), a well-documented alternative method of diagnosing and treating various illnesses. They seek to balance a person’s “energy,” wherever it is lacking (physical, spiritual, emotional or mental).
- Countless Ayurvedic and Energy medical professionals have found color therapy to be useful in positively influencing our mood, mental state, and energy level. https://altmedicine.about.com/cs/chakras/a/ChakraSounds.htm
- Lamps are hand-carved from Himalayan salt and Polish salt that is 250 million years old and has a very high energetic quality, similar to any other crystal.
Biofeedback Research Results:
- Persian Salt Lamps release negative ions and are recommended as night lights for adults and children to have a more peaceful sleep.
- Rose McClintick, a QXCI Practitioner and Biofeedback Analyst, who has been working in the holistic health field for seven years, tested salt lamps and offered an enthusiastic endorsement in regard to their generation of negative ions: “Regarding the salt lamps, I can tell you that my test shows that it has improved the negative ions. It has taken a little over a week to see an improvement in the numbers. So it does improve — it just takes a little longer for the effect to show up in the test. (They) will be recommended to have in the bedrooms. You get both working for you, improved neg. ions and a better night’s sleep.” www.zykoffbodywork.com
Researching the Effects of Negative Ions
More recently, a study by The Division of Respiratory Medicine University Hospital, Basel, Switzerland concluded the negative ions produced by air ionisers were ineffective in asthma treatment. They even state that over-reliance on alternative therapies can lead to undertreatment and undesired side effects.
However, not all those from the scientific community dismiss the impact of negative ions on health. A 2006 trial by the American Psychiatric Association reported improvements in a sample group of people suffering from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Over a three week period, forty per cent of those exposed to negative ions reported improvements in their depressive symptoms.
Studies Conducted in Japan
Many doctors and researchers in Japan have been studying the effects of negative ions. According to them, an insufficient number of negative ions in our environment results in suppressed immune, nervous, and digestive function, eventually leading to a variety of illnesses. Some doctors in Japan even treat their patients using a medical device that produces natural (not artificially produced) negative ions, with successful results. Below are some of the research results on the effects of negative ions.
In 1975, Nanzandoh Medical Clinic in Japan published some astonishing results from their research on negative ion therapy, finding it effective in the treatment of high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, tinnitus (ringing of the ears), as well as for various disorders of the nervous, respiratory, and digestive systems, thyroid gland, and skin. It was also found to speed recovery from illness and slow aging processes.
A clinic near Ueyamada Hot Spring in Shinshu, Japan, treated Alzheimer’s patients with negative ion therapy, and more than half were cured of the disease, recovering on their own with no further treatment! Following this, a medical team at Shinshu University also found that negative ions work to heal damaged cells in mice.
Dr. Tomoh Tsubushi, a medical professor at Tokyo Metropolitan University and sports medicine specialist, has closely followed negative ion research. In 1997, he concluded from his own studies that when negative ion therapy was applied after exercise, it quickly normalized blood pressure, reduced serum serotonin levels, and accelerated recovery time from exhaustion. In 2000, his paper on the beneficial effects of negative ions on the human body was published in Shuki no Kenkyu, a Japanese scientific journal.
According to research conducted by Shiseido, the world renowned Japanese cosmetics company, inhaling air containing 3,200 positive ions per cubic centimeter for 20 minutes resulted in thirst, loss of voice, and nasal congestion due to elevated serum serotonin levels. In contrast, inhaling negative ions for 10 minutes stabilized brain waves, resulting in a sense of calmness. In the group that inhaled negative ions, hardly any serotonin was detected in blood or urine samples. (Negative ions cause the body to convert excess serotonin – the antagonist for most of the problems – into a harmless chemical compound).
Studies Conducted in the U.S. and Other Counties
The following is excerpted from an article by Guy Cramer, entitled “Advanced Research on Atmospheric Ions and Respiratory Problems” (Certified Medinex Website, Sept. 2, 1996, https://mypage.direct.ca/g/gcramer/asthma.html):
Harmful Effects of Positive Ions
Ions were first linked to human health by a Japanese medical study in 1910, which showed that patients with arthritis experienced greater pain when weather fluctuations elevated the percentage of positive ions in the atmosphere. As a result of this and other research, in Japan the close relationship between ions and health has long been widely recognized.
Cold fronts and low pressure systems increase the percentage of positive ions in the atmosphere, leading to a decrease in the number of negative ions in our bodies. Doctors in Japan report that under such conditions, the symptoms of their asthma and arthritis patients are aggravated, and the number of strokes increases.
In North America, the relationship between positive ions and asthma has also been studied. Positive ion winds (in which there are extremely high concentrations of positive ions) in Calgary, Alberta, southern California, and other places around the world have been found to coincide with increased incidence of asthma attacks (Guy Cramer, “Advanced Research on Atmospheric Ions and Respiratory Problems”, Certified Medinex Website, Sept. 2, 1996, https://mypage.direct.ca/g/gcramer/asthma.html).
Moreover, in recent years a number of doctors in Japan report that high levels of positive ions in the immediate environment – due to electromagnetic fields generated from computers, cell phones and other electronic devices – can both impair brain function and suppress the immune system, leading to a host of ailments. Symptoms include headache, lack of energy, fatigue, anxiety, irritability, nausea, stomachache, breathing difficulty, vertigo (dizziness), poor concentration and mental performance, and sleep disturbance. When blood or urine samples from individuals reporting such symptoms are analyzed, extremely high levels of the stress hormone serotonin are detected. This hormone is known to be potentially harmful to the body at high levels, and it is thought that positive ions may work to increase serum serotonin. (Negative ions, on the other hand, cause the body to convert excess serotonin into a harmless compound).
Nikola Tesla’s research showed that too many positive ions in the air will cause you to feel depressed, lethargic and full of aches, pains and complaints. More negative ions in the air cause you to feel energized, calm and clearer. The air is actually purer, fresher and cleaner.
Positive ions turn into free radicals in the body, oxidizing cells throughout the entire system. They damage healthy cells and increase the acidity of the blood. When cells are oxidized, lactic acid levels rise drastically, resulting in a variety of maladies, including cancer. The balance of the endocrine, immune, and autonomic nervous systems is thrown off, and blood and lymph circulation declines. As a result, aging processes accelerate, and premature aging occurs.
Care for your lamp
Natural Salt lamps are for indoor use. Crystal Salt is hygroscopic; it draws moisture from the air. In case of increased humidity, the lamp should be turned on. The heated salt lamp will dry itself off. If the lamp is left off for periods of time, and becomes very damp— unplug it. Take the electrical unit out. If the unit is wet, place in a dry, place. Wipe the salt crystal with cotton towel until moisture is removed. Following the drying process of the electrical unit and salt crystal, and reassembly, turn the lamp ON for couple of hours. Keep the lamp on a waterproof surface and or watch for moisture build up. If you store the salt lamp for long periods unlit, seal it in a plastic bag in a cool dry place. As lamp is heavy, keep out of reach from small children.
If the color fades with time, use a red bulb or different colors that will add ambience to the room.
Use the salt lamp for Yoga and meditation. When you repose in peace and quiet, a salt crystal lamp near you will enhance your meditative experience.